With the UEFA Champions League resuming play this week, we thought it would be nice to familiarize everyone with the remaining 8 teams. Most of them will be familiar to everyone, but there are a few surprises…
So let’s take a look at the 2nd of 3 teams from England – Chelsea Football Club
(the UEFA Champions League history contains figures starting from the ’92/’93 season – when it became more than just a competition between league winners)
Name – Chelsea Football Club
Nickname – The Blues
Established – 1905 – Chelsea, West London, England
League – English Premier League (currently in fourth place)
- Team leading scorer – Didier Drogba with 11 goals
- 11 points behind Manchester United for first place, 1 point behind Manchester City for third.
Stadium – Stamford Bridge – Since 1905 – 41,841 capacity
- Area was originally used for athletics, not soccer, and was developed without a team to put in it.
- A crowd of 67,000 was recorded in 1905, when the team was only in the second division!
UEFA Champions League history (from ’92 til today)
- Total record – 49-29-20 (9 appearances)
- Best finish was Runner-up in ’07/’08
- Met this round’s opponent, Manchester United, only once. In the ’07/’08 final, with the score tied 1-1, Chelsea lost on penalty kicks 6-5.
- Leading scorer in this year’s competition – Nicolas Anelka with 7 goals.
Stats via Soccerway