With the UEFA Champions League resuming play this week, we thought it would be nice to familiarize everyone with the remaining 8 teams. Most of them will be familiar to everyone, but there are a few surprises…
So let’s take a look at the team that made it to this round with a thrilling comeback against Bayern in the second leg, and the defending champions – Internazionale.
(the UEFA Champions League history contains figures starting from the ’92/’93 season – when it became more than just a competition between league winners)
Name – Football Club Internazionale Milano
- More commonly know as Inter Milan, or Inter
Nickname – The Nerazzuri (black and blues), Il biscione (grass snake – from Milan heraldry)
Established – 1908 – Milan, Italy
- Established in direct response to A.C. Milan not hiring foreign players… It’s first captain was a Swiss player!
League – Italian Serie A (currently in third place)
- Team leading scorer – Samuel Eto’o Fils with 19 goals
- As of 4/4/11 – 2 points from second place, 5 points from first.
Stadium – Stadio Giuseppe Meazza (more commonly know by it’s previous name – San Siro) – Since 1926 – 80,065 capacity
UEFA Champions League history (from ’92 til today) –
- Total record – 46-25-24
- Internazionale are the defending Champions, beating Bayern Munich in the finals last year.
- Have never met this round’s opponent – Schalke 04 – in the Champions League
- This year’s leading scorer – Samuel Eto’o Fils with 8 goals
Stats from Soccerway