I’m sorry that our La Liga coverage has been erratic the past few weeks. My somewhat spotty Serie A fixation has taken over again and I’ve been writing and reading more about recent developments in Italy. There is so much bizarre stuff going on on and off the pitch in England that I really don’t even know where to begin, so here are some quality La Liga links and insights instead. These are heavily Madrid-centric, but that’s to be understood–thanks to their shock 0-1 defeat to Sporting Gijon at the Bernabeu.
– A lengthy post from Sid Lowe detailing Jose Mourinho’s astonishing run of home-field success as a manger, which was ended on Saturday by Sporting Gijon
– Anyone who has ready my La Liga posts knows how much I love Mesut Ozil, so I was very excited to read this Guardian piece, also by Sid Lowe, on his first season in La Liga. If you don’t already read it, the Guardian’s football coverage is excellent and highly-endorsed by this site.
– An interesting, sort-of brutal rundown of Madrid’s recent, early Champions League exits compiled by the Telegraph (to be read as a companion to Drew’s recent Madrid post).
– The Hard Tackle’s La Liga Week in Review
– Phil Ball’s latest La Liga column for ESPN is typically excellent.
– News regarding Almeria’s sacking of Jose Luis Oltra
Enjoy the matches today. I’m expecting fireworks from Madrid and Spurs.